Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Witch Finger Poppers and Eye of Newt


Yesterday's post kicked off my Halloween week with two fun drinks to get the party started, but no party would be complete without the food. Appetizers are a must and let your guests mingle easily while eating. There is no better way of saying "Welcome to our lovely home" then by offering Witch
Finger Poppers and Eye of Newt to your favorite ghouls when stopping by for a visit.


Witch Finger Poppers are, according to my husband, one of the best jalapeno poppers around and I've been fixing them for many years. What sets them apart from a regular deep fried version is that they are baked and with that, at least a little bit better for you. Seeded and halved jalapenos are stuffed with a filling of cream cheese, cheddar and Monterey jack cheese, bacon and seasonings before being dipped in breadcrumbs. Ketchup and a sliced almond complete the grizzly witch fingernail effect. The poppers are then baked for about 30 minutes before serving. Just make sure to cool them a bit before biting into them, unless you are going for the "skin burned off the roof of your mouth feel" (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). 


Eye of Newt is a fun take on my Snappy Deviled Eggs which are a staple at our house as well. This time around the filling gets its "moldy" color from blue, green and yellow food coloring before being piped into the egg halves. A sliced olive along with a sliver of pimiento make up the pupil and finally gel food coloring applied with a toothpick to the white part of the egg add the finishing touch to the "Eye of Newt".

Both of these appetizers add hilarious touches that make your Halloween buffet just a little more ghoulish.  Depending on how many goblins you have coming by this year you might want to go ahead and double the recipes as they never last long!

Party Tips:

- You can make the Witch Finger Poppers the day before your party. Just seed and fill the peppers. Place in baking pan and cover with plastic wrap. Set in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Make the Eye of Newt the morning of your party but wait until a couple of hours before your guests arrive to apply the red food color, otherwise it will "bleed" into the white of the egg.


Witch Finger Poppers
(adapted from Taste of Home Magazine)
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup (4 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup (4 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
12 medium jalapeno peppers, stems removed, halved lengthwise and seeded*
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Preparation:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cheeses, bacon and seasonings. Spoon about 1 tablespoon into each pepper half. Dip tops of stuffed peppers into bread crumbs.

Place a small amount of ketchup at the end of each popper; top with a sliced almond to resemble a fingernail. Place in a greased 15 x 10 inch baking dish (make sure to pack them in tightly or the filling will run out). Bake, uncovered, at 300 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

* When cutting or deeding hot peppers, use rubber or plastic gloves to protect your hands. Avoid touching your face (trust me on this!).


Eye of Newt Deviled Eggs
(makes 20 eyeballs)
(Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:
10 large eggs, hard boiled
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sour cream
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon vinegar
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (your favorite kind)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Blue, yellow and green food coloring
Sliced olives
Diced pimiento
Red food coloring

Preparation:

Peel and halve hard boiled eggs lengthwise and remove yolks. Place yolks in a bowl along with mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, vinegar and hot sauce. With the immersion blender mix everything to desired consistency (you can use a fork and mash if you don't have a blender). Season with salt and pepper. Color egg yolk mixture with blue, yellow and green food color until desired color is reached. Pipe egg mixture back into egg halves. Garnish each egg halve with 1 sliced olive, 1 diced pimiento placed inside the olive. Add red food coloring with a toothpick for the blood-shot eye effect.


Stay tuned for more ghoulish treats on Thursday!

51 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I looooooooooove this!!! Will be brave next year and throw a party with these in mind!!! My children would love these...or be too scared to eat them! PS meant to say in the last post that I love our new scary blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first let me say how funny your profile pic is! Now, on to the food. Love the witch finger poppers and I may actually make these for Sunday. We are going to friends for dinner and having the kids trick-or-treat from there and these would be perfect for me to bring. I think I will skip the devilled egg newts eyes, my husband detests hard-boiled eggs, can't even be in the same room with one (I love them, though!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love creative touches to pull the theme together. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! That's pretty scarrrrryyyy! Scary, but very tasty looking, too! ;) You are an extremely creative cook, Susi. It's always fun to see what you've come up with. These are hilariously cute and spooky appetizers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Die Eier sehen einfach klasse aus. I know, why don't you come by on Sunday and bring all those wonderful Halloween treats, plaese, plaese???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susi, u r a genius. You have turned cute yummy dishes to halloween nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun!! Thx for the tip on the gloves. I always forget them and wish I'd remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unbelievably adorable.

    ..So, my party on Friday... wanna just host it for me?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute and fun! Not to mention that your treats also sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word I LOVE these!!!! You know that I'm a HUGE Halloween fanatic so I pretty much think you're the most amazing person on the planet! Oh I just have to make these. I love you Susi!!! :) These are so much fun, love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I please come to your Halloween party? Wow! What fun snacks. I'm sure that children and adults would be delighted to sit down to a platter of these goodies. Thank you for sharing...I only wish I had a Halloween party that I was throwing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will have to share with me one day how you made your profile pic so cute! I love these! You are making me so excited for Halloween! I love, love, love the deviled eyeballs, the only problem, the only one who will eat them is my husband, he loves them. I should make him some, he would get a big kick out of it!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are too cute! I'm totally forwarding my sister the link to your site as these are perfect for the Halloween party she's throwing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now thats the halloween spirit! And love your profile photo (=

    ReplyDelete
  15. These just made my day. I'd love to go to a party that had them. So fun! And I also love your previous post on the drinks. So fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wat a beautiful finger poppers and terrific eyes..happy halloween..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those witch fingers are quite creepy. Where do you find all this fun stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  18. this look so good. you are so creative:)happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are big fans of ghoulish treats at our house. I love the poppers. They are adorable and I bet super yummy. We had a big scary foods family party and my brother in law brought the eggs. I had to eat extra as the kids wouldn't eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving your halloween posts! These scary eyes in particular...so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that's what I call perfect finger food! Love your creativity and great Halloween spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susi I'll be making both of these this Halloween. Thank-you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jalepeno poppers are the best! Yours looks delicious and fun for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your spooky profile picture! And these look frighteningly delicious! You are so much fun Susi. Thank you for your kind words that you me the other day about our cousin. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Schaut hervorragend aus. Viele Grüße Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can understand why your husband loves those poppers. I am a big fan of baking them in place of frying them. I fell like you can actually taste the pepper and the heat better when they are baked. Plus, it's a much healthier way of eating them which means that you can indulge in more of them;-) Both of these appetizers are party fare favorites and you have done a great twist on them for Halloween. Can't wait for Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so cute! I love the Eye of Newt eggs:) I made Halloween donuts for the weekend, and had a lot of fun with this holiday's baking:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love scary halloween food, these are fabulous, usually it's all sweet stuff so nice to see some savory ones.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Susi, you are SO creative! These are absolutely adorable finger foods, and perfect for Halloween. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kudos to you for making healthy Halloween treats! Those are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum... you're already for a party.

    ReplyDelete
  32. These will go great with those fun cocktails you made the other day. They're pretty scary looking, but oh, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've really come up with some very cute and clever Halloween goodies and I can tell by your profile pic that you're really into this holiday. It's one of my favorites too but I'm not sure I'll have time to make the bloodshot eyeballs although I think they would make a big impression on my guests;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. boo hoo hoo

    jalapeno poppers rulz year round in my house

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow Susi...this looks really spooky and Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a nice idea...
    Your pics are outstanding, Bravissimo !!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are just plain deliciously yucky, as they are supposed to be! Nicely done, Susi!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So creative and cute! I love the eyeball eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your eyes of newt are so creepy! Must make them! Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love these Susi! They're just adorable - but aside from that they sound delicious too. Especially the poppers! I think my invitation got lost in the mail...

    ReplyDelete
  41. Appetizers are a must and let your guests mingle easily while eating. There is no better way of saying "Welcome to our lovely home" then by offering Witch
    Finger Poppers and Eye of Newt to your favorite ghouls when stopping by for a visit.
    TV T Shirts

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails