Thursday, October 28, 2010

....And the Halloween Food continues

 
The Halloween fun continues today on Susi's Kochen und Backen with a couple more ghoulish treats. Earlier this week I featured fun drinks like "Swamp Juice" and appetizers like "Eye of Newt" and today is no different with a couple more fun party foods like "Vampire Blood Shots" and "Puff Pastry Intestines". Now, who wouldn't want to come to THAT party?

When trying to come up with a themed party my planning always starts with the food. A good mix of finger food is easiest to serve, since it allows your guests to walk around and be social. I like to have a good mix of cold and warm appetizers, some that contain meat and some for all the vegetarians . If in doubt, a vegetable platter, cheese tray or fruit platters are always a hit and they can round out your buffet.  One of my big requirements for "fun" food is that it has to be appealing to the eye as well as the taste buds.


Kicking it off today are the "Vampire Blood Shots". Now, I need you all to humor me and pretend that I'm serving these fun shooters in Test Tubes rather than shot glasses. I had ordered a test tube set to display them in, but of course, I'm still waiting for them to be delivered. Plan B to the rescue. While not quite as cool looking as test tubes, serving the "Blood" in shot glasses works just as well. The blood happens to be a very quickly cooked, but incredibly tasty tomato soup that can easily be made a day ahead. Since tomatoes aren't at their prime anymore, I went with a couple of cans of whole tomatoes which are always flavorful and at their best taste. A smooth soup is key when you are serving it  "drink-style" and with that I relied on my food mill to get the right texture. A fine mesh strainer will do the job as well though.


Second up are the "Puff Pastry Intestines". I found them on The Knead for Speed who had adapted it from canarygirl.com and the second I laid I eyes on this fun treat I was hooked. My boys coming home from school, seeing them on the counter and exclaiming "most awesome guts EVER!" confirmed my excitement. They are pretty simple to make, all you need is a bit of time. Puff Pastry is cut into strips, filled with a meat filling, then pinched together to form one long continuous roll before being placed in a 9 x 13 inch pan (here is a great tutorial). Red food coloring adds a bit of gore. The puff pastry sheets were pretty easy to work with in the beginning, only towards the end it became difficult and started to fall apart on me when transferring to my baking dish. Not a big deal though since intestines aren't all that neat anyway. This recipe can also be made ahead and refrigerated until ready for baking. They are great fresh out of the oven but still tasty at room temperature.



I hope you all enjoyed the recipes featured this week on my blog. I figured with so much candy around and more treats and sweets to come in the next couple of months, it would be fun to show a different food side of Halloween.
Since I'm trying to get ready for this weekend, I'm wishing you all a Happy Halloween at this point! Enjoy yourselves, whether you are hosting a party, going to a party, or simply getting into the fun by handing out candy to all the little ghosts and goblins out there. See you next week!


Vampire Blood Shots

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Directions:
In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add the whole tomatoes and crush with a potato masher. Add the bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, sugar, basil, oregano and cook covered for about 15 minutes.

Pour mixture through a food mill, discard solids or alternatively pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer, making sure to press all the liquid out of the mixture.

Return strained soup to the pot. Check for additional seasoning. Add the heavy cream and balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use and re-heat.

A Susi's Kochen und Backen Original Recipe



Puff Pastry Intestines

Ingredients:
1 (17.3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry
Meat filling (recipe to follow)
1 egg, beaten
red food coloring
small paintbrush

Directions:
Thaw puff pastry according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.

Cut each puff pastry sheet lengthwise into 6 strips. Lightly flour a big work area, table, or kitchen island and lay each strip next to one another. (I did 4 strips at a time) Press and seal the seams between the strips.

Spread the filling down the entire length of the dough, leaving a bit of space on each side to pinch closed.

Pinch the entire length of the dough closed, stretching the dough slightly around the filling as you go.

Carefully lift intestine into your baking dish, seam-side down, and form an "intestine-like" pattern.

Brush puff pastry with beaten egg. Dip small paintbrush into red food coloring and draw "blood" in the creases.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.


Meat Filling for "Puff Pastry Intestines"

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/4 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon ketchup

Directions:
Brown meat in a pan until no longer pink. Add onions, corn, taco seasoning, water and ketchup. Cook for about 5 minutes or until water is dissolved. Let cool before filling the puff pastry. 




46 comments:

  1. I want to come to your Halloween Party! And I love the intestines! Wow this is all so much fun. And thanks for the Monster Mash video, it brings me back to my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I said "OH GROSS!" as I scrolled down and saw those intestines...but what could be a better compliment? Once again, super creative and cool. Love the vampire shooters...they sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Jamie!!!! Everything looks perfectly gruesome yet ever so edible! What a great mom you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meine ganze Familie hat gerade Deine Puff Pastry Innereien bewundert. Fanden all klasse!!
    Kommt auf den Menuplan fuer Sonnntag. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so creative! I hope I can be that into Halloween for my kids. Yesterday's post was tough for me to look at, as I have an incredibly irrational and pervasive spider phobia; I can't even look at them without getting scared. Even fake ones!

    By the way, thanks for tagging me! I've been really busy, but I worked on my post last night and I'll be finishing and posting my results this afternoon.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you are really in the spirit of things. Have fun! And Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen your stuff all over the Foodbuzz Top 9 as of late and you have some really fun stuff for Halloween! I am impressed! This is Emily from EZ's Recipes, I sent you a friend request on Foodbuzz a week or two ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so diggin these halloween treats! I saw the intestines somewhere and thought brilliant! How fun. I would totally have a blast at your party. So where's my invite??? (=

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your intestines are fabulous! As are your scary eyes...Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. The intestines are gross, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh. I had to do a double take!

    Insanely real looking. Go'on girl. Get 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To quote my daughter "ROTFL!" That was the best post! I'm SO not a Halloween person, but you are making me really want to come to your party. I have one to head to myself on Sat, the cooking will begin tomorrow and you are actually getting me in the Halloween mood. I'm actually getting excited!
    More deliciously yucky treats! Nicely done Susi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, you know I'm a Halloween fan, and I must add those "Intestines" to my bag of tricks. I can just hear the kids now going, EEEEWWWW! Have fun at your party!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ew! Those puff pastry intestines are gross looking! (That's a compliment, right?) It probably doesn't help that I am eating lunch while reading/seeing this. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here I am bugging you again, I know your busy, but I just wanted to pass on a lovely blog award to you! Have a great day!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susi - Your Halloween posts were such a treat! I have to say that puff pastry intestines tops the list of my Halloween favorites! It's just so funny. At first I was thinking they were simply puff pastry, but even better that they're actually filled with meat. LOL! I hope you have a wonderful Halloween weekend.

    I'm getting read to test out a Halloween cocktail recipe myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Though I might pass on the puff pastry intenstines, I would definitely gobble up some delicious vampire blood shots! These Halloween treats are so inventive! Great job, Susi!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderfully gross!! Great creativity

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never said this before but the intestine looks good! LOL! and vampire bloods sure tastes good as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those "intestines" really are hideous-looking! Normally, I wouldn't want to say that to a fellow food-blogger but this time it's a high compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say that those intestines are disgustingly lovely! Great boy food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome intestines. I do love the Halloween themed food...so fun to play around with. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, the intestines are HILARIOUS! Very creative! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Why am I not invited this looks like too much fun.. love the intestines... Your new picture is so cool.. you look fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome!! But I'm not gonna lie: The intestines freak me out a little.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Susi, Susi, Susi...this is soooo gross! My boys are gonna LOVE it! Can't wait to make them. I am thinking of putting just ham and cheese in the middle or maybe sausage, marinara and some cheese! Thanks for the idea!

    Also, love those eyes of Newt tooo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great Halloween spread. Very creative and fun. The intestines look ghoulishly appetizing.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your Halloween dishes are so creative! I love these Vampire Blood Shots. The color is perfect. And those intestines are creepy...in a good way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks so cool:) you are so creative with this... very creepy indeed. happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The intestines are a hoot! I'm thinking that I might fill mine w/ pesto to make them even more disgusting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those intestines actually look delicious.
    And I was always so scared of offal...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Susi, those intestines are so gross that they can't help being awesome. Your boys are super lucky. I bet you were smiling in anticipation of their reaction when you were making them. How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. For sure, you're the Queen of the Halloween weird and gross...but yummy ideas. Just looking at the photos of the intestines...no thanks...LOL
    Love your Halloween photo, and the red eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The photo of the intestines...oh boy .... that looks so real and vivid...

    ReplyDelete
  35. It looks like you have a lot of people who'd love to go to your Halloween party; me included. I just love the ideas you have given us this year.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those intestines are incredible! Not only do they look postively ghoulish but I'm sure they taste divine. Thank you for sharing, love...you do Halloween justice.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Omg...those intestines are hilarious!! You need to do my next Halloeen party:) happy Halloween Susi:)

    ReplyDelete
  38. They're both awesome! Who would have thought puff pastry would make such perfect intestines. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  39. The intestines DO look really gross Susi! I love it! You've put together the perfect menu for a Halloween party. You're kids must of had fun all week trying out your creations. Thank you for your comment on my cake - I was thinking of you - and even checked your blog to see if you had a recipe. It's hard writing about classics that I know nothing about - I don't want to offend anyone or give out the wrong information. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails