Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie


Breakfast time is serious business at our home. My kids are unhappy if there isn't a good variety to choose from. They are quite satisfied if I have a couple of cereals to chose from or my breakfast burritos are in the freezer. I also tend to make muffins and freeze those for easy grab and go breakfasts, but with the temperatures outside being already hot in the morning, breakfast isn't as appealing as usually.

Since I believe that a well balanced breakfast is important to start the day right, I'm trying to come up with different choices for those already steamy mornings. This is where the Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie comes in handy. This smoothie is very easy to make, super filling, and perfect even if you are on the go.


The ingredients in this smoothie harmonize well together, but it also lends itself to a variety of different ingredients. Look at it like a blank canvas and just pick and choose whatever sounds good to you and your family. For example: soy milk, replace it with regular milk or almond milk. Don't care for bananas? Use a different fruit. Don't have strawberries? Go with raspberries or blackberries. Instead of honey, use brown sugar, white sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar. The possibilities are endless.


This smoothie has been a staple for breakfast and even a few lunches for a couple of weeks now, and so far the kids have not grown tired of it and all it's endless combinations. The recipe makes 1 very large or two smaller smoothies but can easily be doubled. 

I hope you'll give this smoothie a try and enjoy it for your next breakfast as much as we do.

Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
 ~makes 2~
(Print this Recipe)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup Vanilla soy milk (I use the light kind)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 banana, broken into chunks
14 frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 tablespoon honey

Directions:
In a blender add rolled oats. Process until almost powder like. Add soy milk, yogurt, banana, strawberries and blueberries, vanilla and honey. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

A Susi's Kochen und Backen Original Recipe

19 comments:

  1. I never would have thought to add oats to a smoothie. Such a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter has been making herself fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast for weeks now. I think it is great. A good, healthy breakfast is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really unique. The oatmeal sets it apart and makes it special. It really looks wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I've never added oatmeal to a smoothie before, but really want to now. I'm guessing it will stick with you a little longer, and I love healthy breakfasts that do so. So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks great! also sounds yummy (and healthy which is a big plus). definitely going to be putting this on my brekkie wishlist soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually throw in a couple handfuls of spinach to mine... can't even taste it but you get some great vitamins from it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, thanks for stopping by :o) The addition of spinach sounds like a great, healthy idea. I will have to give a try the next time I make this!

      Delete
  7. I add spinach and sometimes kale too. SO yummy! Although, I wanted to make sure these are un-cooked oats right? Great find, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shalynne, thanks for stopping by my blog :o) You are correct, the oats used are un-cooked. The addition of kale sounds like a great one as well!

      Delete
  8. Adding the oats to this smoothie really makes it great! I'm having this for breakfast from now on...great on-the-go breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would love to know about how many calories are in this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this for the first time this morning! Didn't have a banana so omitted it, and used a packet of cinnamon spice low fat oatmeal from Quaker. Delicious! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you make a batch and store it for the week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for stopping by! To be honest, I have never stored this smoothie for more then a couple of hours in the refrigerator. I think it is probably best to not keep a batch beyond a day though, freshly made always tastes best in my opinion. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this one! It really gave me a boost of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Strawberry Oatmeal smoothie? I'm in! They look delicious! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails